Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A New Ray! A traitor among the X-Men?

The Ray  #1 (DC Comics, Written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, Art by Rich Perrotta)

A majority of the first issues of 52 have been decent. Others have been awesome, even some were meh. However, The Ray #1 was fun, exciting and different. Right away, I fell in love with all the characters. Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiott’s The Ray was well-written for an origin story. If you ever see them on the street, I think you need to give them a high-five or buy them a round of drinks. My problem with origins stories is this: Hero gets powers, hides them from their family and questions whether or not they can be a hero. Within the first few pages, Lucien’s parents, best friend and girlfriend learn of his powers. My only problem, they all seemed too cool about it. None of them really freaked out.  The Ray’s supporting case brings in an element that not a lot comic books have now a days. Support casts are usually small and useless. That is not the case with this book. His parents are hippies and Lucien has himself a sugar mama.  Unlike many heroes in the beginning, Lucien is excited about all the possibilities that his powers will bring him. By the way, the final scene was unexpected. As a reader, you will be worried for Lucien.

Rate 10/10


Ultimate X-Men #1 (Marvel, Written by Nick Spencer, Art by Paco Medina

When I was in high school, one of my favorite comic books was Ultimate X-Men. Everything in the Ultimate Universe was unique and I loved it. However, my love for the U.U ended after Ultimatum. I’ve been a fan of Jeph Loeb’s work over the years but I think Ultimatum failed miserably. Post-Ultimatum stories were stale and boring. When I learned that Nick Spencer, writer of Morning Glories, would be writing Ultimate X-men, my prayers were answered. I couldn’t wait to see what he was going to produce. Four issues in and I’m disappointed. The conversation between Quicksilver, the President and Ms. Cooper needs to done already. It’s been going on since issue 1 and the reader wants the story to move. Is anyone else annoyed with Kitty? She is annoying, super emo and blah. My favorite scene in this issue was when Johnny Storm confronted Kitty. She keeps giving lectures to Bobby and Drake. Unlike those two, she wasn’t fighting along aside Peter Parker as he was dying. The biggest surprise so far, Rogue being a possible traitor.

Rate 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment